Robert Jennell | Former Superintendent
Thoroughness and attention to detail
SWLS initially contacted Garmann Miller for assistance with our pre-bond work, comparing the state's scope of work with our actual need. In cooperation with GM, our district was able to identify and successfully increase the scope of work to include approximately $4.5 million in additional fixes originally not included by the state assessment. It was they type of thoroughness and attention to detail that led our district to expand our relationship with GM to include additional construction projects.
As part of the $130 million, phased facility modernization program, the district is replacing or renovating all of its school buildings over a 5-year period. These projects include:
- New Watkins Memorial High School (235,000 sf) (in construction)
- New 4-5 Intermediate School (91,855 sf) (in construction)
- Renovate Watkins Memorial High School to a Middle School (150,910 sf)
- New Pataskala Elementary School (TBD sf)
- Renovate and add to Kirkersville Elementary School (58,5580 sf/add 1,400 sf)
- Renovate Etna Elementary School (55,320 sf)
- Abate and demolish Watkins Middle School
- Abate and renovate Southwest Licking Preschool
The project is phased to accommodate school schedules, funding and to reduce disruptions. Following in the next years will be renovations of the remaining schools and then once everything is complete, abatement and demolition packages will be prepared. Southwest Licking Local Schools is reorganizing its entire district from grade-banded schools into four separate communities with K-3 neighborhood schools and a 4-12 campus.